Youth and Adult Records

Did You Know?

  • It is a crime to not complete a sentence. If a sentence is not completed, the youth can be charged with another crime called breach. If you don’t finish the sentence you were given in court, you can be charged with another crime called a breach. A finding of guilt on this new charge extends the time that the record stays open.
  • Notices given to youth by the police or the court such as an Appearance Notice, Promise to Appear or a Recognizance mean that they must appear in court on a certain date. If the youth does not, they are committing a new crime called "failing to appear." Being found guilty of this extends the time that the youth record is open.
  • Many employers require a record check.
  • Other countries do not have access to youth records except in very limited circumstances. However, if another country does obtain the information, they may decide to keep it in their files well after the end of the access period. Only in Canada does a youth record have to be closed after a certain time. Any record, no matter how minor the offence, can keep someone from getting into other countries.
  • For example, in the United States, it is often up to the individual border guard to decide whether you get in. Anyone that has a youth record that has been shared with the U.S. may be refused entry. The U.S. is one of the countries where a travel waiver may be required to enter.